Friday, July 2, 2021

It all starts with sparklers...

 I have now been married for about a month, and let me tell you...it has certainly been full of surprises for certain. (I just didn't know that I liked surprises so much. 😄) Mike and I definitely share a few tokens to remember the vitality of the rest of our forever together. We are both willing to fight for each other, should the day come that either of us has to (though if I am being honest, I hope it doesn't...I don't wish to become a bother, but you never can know how deep the thunder may roar). We are so grateful that we were married and had our vows exchanged in the temple, in the eyes of God. We both know that with Him, our marriage will last forever and have success. Everyone is in constant need of His mercy. As we grow closer to the Lord together, we find ourselves able to see our strengths and our weaknesses more clearly. A little good, a little bad, but all in all, beautiful (or handsome 😍). Mike helps me see my life in clarity, I believe, which helps me make these goals a bit better. I hope you enjoy it. (Not to sound like a broken record but, life is good.) 



1) Read "The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead. I made this goal, hoping to be simplistic. I know that the 4th of July is a few mere days away and where the country is today...I thought or rather hoped that it would never be in my lifetime (or anyone's lifetime, considering). I am sad to say many Americans are not looking forward to the celebration of our country's independence in the least. Now that I think it, how independent, or free, if you rather, can anyone consider themselves? Seriously, I am not saying that this nation hasn't seen it worse before, honoring and respecting people that fought in this nation's many battles to see freedom, but I do have my own battles, everyone does, and I am considerate of them all (before I get off on another tangent...). That is why my book club and I are reading the book by Colson Whitehead, "The Underground Railroad" this month, so we can celebrate the freedom of all, as we celebrate America's freedom this month. It verses the story of Cora, a slave on a Georgia plantation, who doesn't fit in and is mocked and ridiculed by all, even by the other slaves. When Caesar, from Virginia, tells her about the Underground Railroad, they decide to risk it all and attempt an escape. In order to do so, Cora must do outlandish things that she never thought she would do on any other day during any other time. This story reminds me somewhat of "Gulliver's Travels" with Cora encountering new things at each stage in her journey. It creates an odyssey with time, as well as space. It is interesting what one will do when freedom is on the line.



2) Track daily food intake for one month. I promise this one will have a point, but how often do even you think about what you eat each day? Not lollygagging like either, seriously think about it. Why did you do it? Did you just order the first thing on the menu that you saw? (Yup, that's me. ✋) It is only too easy to mindlessly eat every meal (and difficult to admit that we are doing so) (at least it is for me). Everyone has so much going on in their own lives that understanding the prospect of food, or which food we should eat at a given moment seems like just one more thing to add to our to-do list (that is already miles long). "Food is fuel." I know, I know. Everyone knows. We all prefer eating whatever we can get our hands-on. This is where I say (or rather, yell), "No more!" We are not all starving dogs (eating anything we can) so we should stop acting like it! Now, this goal was hard for me to make, because though I am a regularly healthy person that you wouldn't assume needs to go on a diet, I still have those bad habits. I like having at least one pizza night at my house a week, I've got a good nose and an ever-expanding stomach for good food (what can I say? Michael is allergic to dairy, so it is only right that I help him out there by eating what he can't.), and whenever I go to Wendy's, I have to order a frosty with my meal (also, a salad order at a fast-food restaurant is ridiculous) (I did do it once, but at the end, I was just more hungry for a cheeseburger). Everyone has lessons and habits that they could and should learn that can be applied to food intake, so I am starting here. 



3) Declutter every room in our home. Nobody's perfect, and I certainly am not here. Getting married and someone moving in with you is a great idea, though it does have its surprises, like all of the new habits that you must get used to. Mike is a clean person, I am not selling him short; it is just that we are both very busy people and we like to think on our feet. Yeah, that's believable. The walls are closing in. --that is why I make this goal. 😉 Cleaning or decluttering has its benefits too, let me direct that. Regular cleaning will delete the likelihood for sickness, overall. (On that note, Mike is studying to become a doctor.) A clean home presents more of an opportunity to be hospitable, in that a general pick-up makes your home look all the better. Also, you may break into a sweat while cleaning...and singing a song (you have your habits, I have mine) (music helps me in everything) (strictly speaking, dancing makes you sweat too) and therefore, you won't need any of those expensive gym memberships. If cleaning tasks are spread throughout the week, you feel less guilty about downtime. Keeping a clean home makes one happy. (Read that again, because it is true.) And even though it is the little things that control over them is in fact, comforting. (Did you read it again?)



4) Eat a salad every day for one month.  Here I go again...I'm serious if any of you doubters happen to be reading this.An eating plan that helps manage your, or strictly speaking my weight includes a variety of healthy foods. Add an assortment of colors to your plate and think of it as eating a rainbow. 🌈 Dark, leafy greens of the lettuce and/or spinach, oranges, and tomatoes--even fresh herbs are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Also, adding frozen peppers, broccoli, or onions to stews and omelets gives them a quick, convenient burst of color and nutrients. Another tidbit, if I must, and I must, did you know that you can make oatmeal in a cute little teapot? 🍵 I'm not trying to convince myself of anything...maybe. If anything, it is to buy more lettuce (and a cute, little teapot, because I can't say no to anything that is cute or little) (I pity myself on the day that Mike and I have children, I would be way too loose with rules right now because of how cute and little our children with their pleading puppy-dog eyes are bound to be 😍). Heaven, help me!


Happy 4th everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a friendly conversation here at OpinionDominion#1 :-) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make an effort to reply to your comments here.

Life IS a Poem!

It is time for it to be said. Life could very well be a poem. Sometimes it is somewhat musical, like William Shakespeare's works. Someti...