Saturday, May 1, 2021

I'm still a beginner...

 Now, you probably didn't decide to read this blog post to receive at least some of my philosophical views, but you are going to get them. (As long as we are on that groove, why did you read this? I would love to hear it in the comments! ❤) Actually, let's be honest with one another, shall we? I'm really tired, didn't fall asleep until late last night, and just lost $2 to get my laundry done. I know it isn't that much but I don't like spending money and back in the days before I paid to get a load done, I considered doing my laundry relaxing and would sometimes do it more than once a week because it always helped me to reach my zen. That isn't the story anymore. I am grateful that I still have a place where I can wash and dry my clothes, don't get me wrong, I just find the humid, noisy, groggy, sad place a little less relaxing. Maybe I'm just a beginner...yes, that's it. I know life is hard, but I try to make it the best that I can (I already vacuumed this morning if that counts 😜). In other words, here is my monthly post on my goals, may the odds be ever in my favor because of it. 



1) Do a no-spend challenge. 

I don't mean to address myself as an introvert...wait, maybe I do, keep reading but it is pretty tough not spending every dime (and nickel, and quarter, and penny) that I own every time that I go to the store, but I also support life of frugality. I always have. I remember when I was still in Young Women's, I started a lifestyle of tracking everything that I spent for a week, and though I had a very low income anyway, it introduced me to the idea that a penny saved is a penny earned. Strictly speaking though, that was a really long time ago, and back then I didn't have to go grocery shopping once a week in order to live (or stuff way too many quarters in the dryer to get it to actually dry my clothes), so I need to look at my current lifestyle, and try to do something like that again. I need to hold onto my money if I can. Now, I am not introducing the idea that I starve (living off the two pizzas that I have in my freezer 😋), or not do my laundry at the end of each week, but I am proposing the thought that I actually look at, and think about my needs vs. my wants before I make an honest purchase. Let me illustrate, I am a bookworm (I promise that I have a point), and no matter what, in every single store, I always somehow end up in the section where they place their books that they are selling. Some people have hungry eyes among whatever, I particularly have them around books. I desperately need to know if the dragon does indeed get slain at the end, the guy gets the girl, or the confounding mystery becomes solved. I know this is something about me that makes me me, and I am proud of it (I could be buying as much chocolate as possible, but I don't...usually) sufficed to say. Unfortunately, that tricksy store doesn't always look at this idea positively, since every book is expensive (except for at the used book sale at my old library) (again, I am a frugal person), more often than not I am able to march out of that store without a single book in hand (unless an author recently put out a new book and I can't help myself) (that happened once!...so far). I guess I just like the smell of paper. Someday I will be a writer, but that will be after I complete this no-spend challenge (except for laundry...I have had nightmares about what would happen if I were to have too large a load to place in that place that looks, smells, and feels like a witch's cauldron) (I swear, my imagination is often my savior), with a book in hand, along with a cup of hot cocoa. 

2) Eat-in for 30 days straight. 
I dream of and hope that I am selling myself short with this next goal. I have always admired baking since a very young age. I did what any normal girl would do in the pink apron that my mother bought me, I baked cookies (the best chocolate chip cookies in the world). Now, I am not tooting my own horn. I got the recipe from my mom (as I believe we all did with whatever we were cooking when we were seven) and she knew just what the dough was supposed to look and feel like in order to create the greatest cookies in the world. If you learn from the best and try your best, the results will not taint. Not to say that cookies are the only thing that I bake and eat now because they aren't. (My chest hurts just thinking about it...why did I say that?) I know how to make a few things, but cookies were where my inspiration started. I can make calzones, grilled cheese, or soup, and much much more (just give me the recipe and I will try to keep my memory in check) today so I guess that this is part of m mission not to spend, I need to stop eating out. My fiancee even suggested to me that we can make a few things together, I'll handle the dessert while he does the main meal is what I mean...Also, in case you are a baker hiding his/her works in the closet like me, or you just want it, here is the aforementioned recipe to the greatest cookies in the world:

Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies

2 1/4 cups
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
12 oz chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (opt)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Combine the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
Mix the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, pudding mix, and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add the eggs and mix well. Gradually stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips and the chopped nuts. Drop from teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheets about 1 inch apart.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. 

3) Make an extra $500
I know what you are thinking...a whole lot of these goals have something to do with money. I'm not saying that money is the only thing that matters, but I am being wary. No one really knows what is going to happen in the future and everyone should be prepared, so I am doing the best that I can by setting these goals. Also, show me a sad rich person that doesn't have a place to sleep and food on their table, and maybe I will think twice about these goals. Of course, that can be frustrating sometimes to the vain dreamers like you and me, but instead of complaining and taking the oft-traveled road in that yellow wood, I would much rather take advantage of my skills, be like them, and be willing and able to help my friends and family as the glorious mess I am, as Elizabeth Gilbert would say. Now, I am not going into this goal as a blind mouse dreaming and thinking something is there when it is not, but rather, a blind bat taking advantage of what they know. I don't expect that $500 will fall into my lap...though that would be nice. I need to work in order for this to happen. I can turn my skills into cash (if only someone would publish my works--any suggestions?), I can join the website that pays people for taking surveys (if I'm even willing to give that information..." gulp"), I can deliver with Uber Eats and get paid up to 5 times a day, or maybe the same with DoorDash. I'm just spitballing here. Do you happen to have any ideas of how I can earn up to $500 this month (or more...I'm a dreamer)?

4) Read "Ella Enchanted" by Gail Carson Levine for my book club.


This one goes a little deeper into my "I absolutely love everything about reading" trait. I am part of a book club. You can see more about it here. Right now, we are trying to read all the books suggested by our members (if you happen to have a suggestion for us, yourself, please don't be shy), and we are on this book next. Our member, and my sister, Bree suggested it. I remember first reading this book when I was 9 or 10 (or somewhere around that age) but I am happy to be reading it again at a much older age. Re-reading an old book is like visiting an old friend, in my eyes, and who knows? I might spot things in the story that I hadn't before. Here is a synopsis of this retelling of Cinderella-At birth, young Ella was given a thoughtless gift of obedience. 😖 Ella must obey any order that she is given, no matter if it happens to be a good command or even a bad one. It might be as silly as hopping on one foot all day or perhaps the vile one of chopping off her own head! Though this quality seems unchangeable, strong-willed Ella refuses to give to it, without fighting a little for freedom on her own. She quests, venturing to demolish this curse. She encounters ogres, giants, wicked stepsisters, fairy godmothers, and handsome princes in her own resolution to break this curse and somehow live happily ever after. I think this story can be compared to our current day, stay with me, with how governing powers may try to steal our agency in some way sometimes, yet if we steadfastly stand up for ourselves, we find that a happy life is indeed possible. 

5) Plan your dream vacation.


Wowza. I do live a busy life, nevertheless, it is a good one. At least I am not sitting around waiting until I die, and thornbushes still have roses. Everything bad has something good. I don't have as much money as I would like for my surety, but at least I still have some (and a roof over my head and food on my table). I don't have as many books as I like (I never will, I know this), but at least I have a library card and a kindle. I don't have it all, but at least I have dreams. I am going to get married to the man of my dreams in June (next month!) (34 days exactly, but who's counting? 😉)and I want to be as prepared for that joy as possible. I'm alright to cross the street as long as you hold my hand. Dreams sustain me, in other words. Dreams coming true, I greatly anticipate. As far as a dream vacation goes, Michael is taking me to a place in Florida on our honeymoon to a hotel placed close to the bay. (Apparently, according to him, everywhere in Florida is close to the ocean. I'm still a beginner...) He was born and raised in a town in Florida, so I'm somewhat glad to be a beginner in this aspect of my life. 🌞💗 It is okay to dream what you are able, but it is also okay if you are shown what you dreamed, that you didn't even know that you dreamt about. With me? Then, you can make prospective goals. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a friendly conversation here at OpinionDominion#1 :-) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make an effort to reply to your comments here.

Life IS a Poem!

It is time for it to be said. Life could very well be a poem. Sometimes it is somewhat musical, like William Shakespeare's works. Someti...